Monday, September 21, 2009

Revised: Mythology Hits Mississippi

Mythology Hits Mississippi


Marvin X took his Mythology guerrilla tour to Mississippi earlier today. Fans at the Jackson State/Grambling football game in Jackson, Mississippi were treated with copies of Mythology as they left the game, many at half-time when the score was 20 to 3, in Grambling's favor. The first question several people asked the poet as he handed out copies was, "What is your religion?" The poet was shocked by the question and didn't see the relevance, so he didn't answer. Of course he was in the heart of the Bible Belt or Cotton Curtain, so he expected the unexpected, including seeing several of his pamphlets thrown to the ground by offended Christians--of course they are hypocritical since church members suffer many of the ailments he describes and offers a solution in Mythology, including teenage pregnancy, partner violence, anger management issues, rape, domination and exploitation of females, also jail and prison as a result of men paying their "pussy bill." No matter, the poet continued passing out Mythology--a female security guard came to ask for the pamphlet after so many fans passed through her gate with Mythology in hand. One father gave a donation and said he would give Mythology to his son.

With a crowd in thousands, the poet saw two white people. Oddly enough, when a white woman came and stood near him, the passersby suddenly seemed more interested and less negative. Yes, once they saw the white woman who was dressed like Lula in Baraka's Dutchman, their vibration suddenly changed--first their eyes focused on Lula then the pamphlet which they grabbed without hesitation. I refused to look at Lula even when she kept edging closer and closer to me. I kept wondering why she was moving closer but if she was the devil she helped sway the negroes toward "God's servant" so they could get the literature. See how God uses the devil. Clay must have been waiting for her since I heard her on the cell phone say she was out front with her umbrella--but no one could not see a white woman in a crowd of ten thousand Africans.

I never gave her the pamphlet and she didn't ask for it, although she was so close I could hear her breathing--actually, I was beginning to feel a little fearful--thinking the Africans would think she was with me--of course they probably thought that anyway--and maybe wishing she was with them. For sure, she changed the vibe from negative to positive for the time she was there, and for a moment I was praying she would hurry up and leave. I was getting spooked like the time I had a white woman friend drive me from South Carolina to the Savannah GA airport at 3AM--I was praying nothing happened--nothing did.


In the words of Ancestor Nina Simone, "Mississippi Goddamn!" The poet was happy to cross back into Louisiana, yes, feeling like one of his slave ancestors who escaped from the jungle to the forest.

It truth, it was great being among the many thousands of Africans at the stadium in Jackson, Mississippi, even with the presence of so many African police without the attitude of the North's finest. Will Jackson one day rival Atlanta? Will sections of the South exercise de facto African sovereignty?

The men in Jackson, Mississippi do look like men and the women like women, although I did give my "pink" pamphlet (my love letter to gay and lesbian youth) to a manly sister with two ladies. In truth, I gave my "pink pamphlet" to a brother dressed in pink, though he looked masculine. When I gave Mythology to a clearly gay brother walking with some sisters, he immediately handed it to them.

The scary thing is the stranglehold of religion and the plethora of liquor stores throughout the hood, even at the service station where liquor stores,I believe, carried more than beer. And there were many brothers stumbling out of the stadium.
I wrote a free style rap with Askari X called Jesus and Liquor Stores. Between Jesus and Liquor Stores do Africans have a chance--especially in Mississippi where these devices are clearly a form of social control, as they are everywhere.

The tickets were $25.00 for students and adults to get into the game--too much for me, so I did not go in, and as a result I think there were more adults at the game than students. Of course the Greeks were everywhere pushing Greek "culture." Ptah told me to introduce myself to the Greeks as Plato Negro and they would open doors for me.

One young brother hawking CDs told me my Mythology wasn't nothing, nothing. I'm not sure if he was referring to the term pussy or the pamphlet--I think it was the word pussy that was "nothing." For some people, here and in the North, the term itself holds trauma of the most wretched kind. I watched one woman come toward me looking bitter, so when I gave her the pamphlet she immediately threw it down. She was mad or bitter already--if I had handed her money she would have threw it on the ground.

Of course Jackson State University is the Africans "own" school but we wonder about the endgame of black education--what are we producing in the black schools but another generation of Negroes! Of course conditions often force people to new vistas, so the so-called Negro may be forced to do for self.

www.marvinxwrites.blogspot.com
http://postnewsgroup.com/stories/00033300000007.html

No comments: